Ingrow West

A Station Re-born

Ingrow West is the first station along the line after leaving Keighley. The area once boasted two stations, Ingrow West on the Worth Valley branch and Ingrow East on the now closed Great Northern Railway line to Halifax and Bradford. The site is much changed from that of pre-preservation.

Features:

Large free car park
On the main A629 road
Level but cobbled access
Toilets
Rail Story, featuring Museum of Rail Travel (Vintage Carriages Trust) and Ingrow Loco (Bahamas Locomotives Society)

Home to Rail Story

When the KWVR took over the Worth Valley branch, the original station was so badly vandalised between closure in 1961 and re-opening in 1968, all that could be done was to keep the site tidy and use it as an unstaffed request stop.

In 1988 the Society made an appeal for donations for funds for a project to purchase a new station building. Remarkably, funding was offered from a private individual, Geoffrey Reeday whose father had been born near to the station. A perfect building was located from Foulridge, which closed in 1959, on the Skipton to Colne line, a building of similar architectural style to the other Worth Valley stations. In conjunction with Bradford Council and the Manpower Services Commission, the building was dismantled, transported to Ingrow and rebuilt stone by stone.

Ingrow is also home to two superb museums now operating under the title of RAIL STORY, Museum of Rail Travel, operated by the Vintage Carriages Trust and Ingrow Loco run by the Bahamas Locomotive Society. Rail Story results from a collaborative plan between the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, the Vintage Carriages Trust and the Bahamas Locomotive Society to develop the site progressively giving visitors greater opportunities to learn about and understand about the preservation and conservation of our railway heritage.

For more information about RAIL STORY, visit the RAIL STORY’s own dedicated website.

Book your tickets online