The Return of the Diesels!
Many visitors won’t remember steam traction, so the Diesel Gala brings back memories of these heritage machines that worked right from the end of steam right up until recent memory – and in some cases continue to do so!
The event will take place from Friday 10th June though to Sunday 12th June.
Tickets will be announced soon for the event.
Our popular on-train Real Ale bar will be serving a selection of Real Ale from local breweries across the gala weekend, with hot and cold drinks also being served for you to enjoy during your journeys with us.
Along with the two home fleet Diesel Locomotives, the railways collection of Yard Shunters & Railbuses with joining in the Gala action.
British Railways Type 3, Class 37 CO – CO Diesel Electric No. D6775 / 37 075
Introduced in 1959, the Class 37 (British Railways Type 3) has outlasted almost all the other classes of mainline locomotives introduced as part of the BR modernisation plan of 1955.
During its ‘national service’ life, 37 075 was allocated to nine different locations but as some were visited on more than one occasion, the total number of moves was 13. And that nomadic life continued into preservation with Haworth being its fifth location.
Arriving on the KWVR in 2012, 37 075 was purchased by a consortium of KWVR volunteers and moved it to Haworth. The largest Diesel Locomotive on the railway also found on fame on the small screen, masquerading as Class 40 D326, in BBC drama ‘The Great Train Robbery’.
British Railways Type 1, Class 20 BO – BO Diesel Electric No. D8031 / 20 031
228 Type 1 diesel electric diesel locomotives were produced, introduced in 1957, examples of the class, 63 years after first manufacture, can still be seen across the network, usually working as pairs.
The engine spent time at several sheds in England; Nottingham, Stratford (London), York, Gateshead, lmmingham, Tinsley (Sheffield), lmmingham and Toton.20 031 first came out of service at Toton Depot in September 1989 only to be returned to traffic in November 1989 before being finally withdrawn in 1990.
The engine was purchased by a private consortium of KWVR members for use on the Worth Valley branch and the engine arrived at Haworth in August 1992. Since it’s arrival 20 031 has been useful employed, hauling early morning services and assisting the Civil Department in their duties.
Find out first!
Join the Enthusiasts Newsletter to be alerted when the gala tickets go on or sale, and when more information is added!