A Station in Miniature

Damems, the third station on your journey up the Valley, once served a small mill nearby but today only serves a residential development at the top of the hill, with trains only stopping by request to the guard.


Unsuitable for road vehicles
Access by footpath

Smallest Station in the UK

Damems (pronounced Dam-emms) station has a Ticket-cum-Station-Masters Office, Waiting Room, Lavatory, Signal Box and House still in KWVR ownership. The platform is only long enough for one coach, which makes this the smallest ‘full-size’ station in Britain.

Damems station was opened in 1868 with the purpose of serving a small mill close-by. The platform has only ever been one coach length but there used to be a siding on the site which is now occupied by the station house on the opposite side to the platform.

From 1928 Mrs Annie Feather, who lived in the station house, opened the level crossing and operated the signals from a ground frame in the front garden. The station closed to passengers in 1949, but Annie continued until the line closed and occasionally worked the gates and signals for some of the early KWVR trains.

In 1971 a signal box was erected, rescued from Earby, like the ‘new’ Ingrow Station, on the Skipton to Colne line, which was about to close. Alongside the signalbox is a new booking office and waiting room based on the original Damems station building built by the Midland Railway.

Forthcoming Events