Become a Member of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society
Why should I become a member? Well, here’s one happy Customer who did just that:
“I have just returned from a Rail Discoveries holiday based in Harrogate. On Sunday 31st July the group took a trip on one of the KWVR steam trains from Keighley to Oxenhope. Part of the trip was a visit to the goods shed at Oxenhope, and although there were less than a dozen of us, John and Chris gave us a wonderful tour of the shed and its contents. I am not a railway enthusiast, but just love to see, hear and smell the wonderful steam locomotives that I remember travelling on as a child.
Unfortunately I was so enthralled that I forgot to give anyone a donation. I have since looked at your website and have decided to become a member.”
Benefits of Membership of the KWVR
- THREE free Day Rover tickets per year, or half price travel, on ordinary operating days*
- Discounts on tickets for selected special events *
- Copy of our quarterly prize-winning magazine “Push and Pull”
- The opportunity to volunteer on the Railway.
- Apply for a lineside photographic permit *
- The satisfaction of belonging to one of the foremost Railway Preservation Societies in the world
* Benefits marked * are currently suspended during the reduced running due to COVID-19 restrictions. We are however looking into how we can offer discounted travel in the near future for KWVR members. Only Photographic Permit renewals are currently being processed as a major review of our processes is being undertaken. New permit applications will be allowed once the review is completed.
Our volunteers are at the heart of our railway and their health and well-being, as well as that of our passengers and staff, is our top priority. With this in mind, to return the KWVR to action, our large and varied volunteer family of volunteers will work tirelessly over the coming weeks to return steam hauled passenger services to the Worth Valley.
No job too big, no job too small!
The volunteers who are most visible are those who operate the train service, run the stations and staff our shops and catering outlets. Other volunteers do a variety of maintenance work ranging from gardening and painting, keeping the gas lights in working order, through to laying track and rebuilding locomotives and carriages.
We cannot operate without our volunteers and, under normal circumstances, we are looking for volunteers in all departments. However these are not normal times and our Operations team are concentrating on plans to reopen the Railway before looking beyond into, what we hope , are normal times. Volunteer recruitment is on hold at the moment until such time as we are open to the public again whenever that may be. Once we are up and running, we will update the situation on our volunteering page when we can accept applications again.
Lineside Photographic Permit
Only Photographic Permit renewals are currently being processed as a major review of our processes is being undertaken. New permit applications will be allowed once the review is completed.
The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway have a strictly enforced policy towards allowing photographers onto the Railway’s land in pursuit of that perfect shot.
If you are a photographer, aged 16 or over, you are welcome to take photographs from the lineside provided you are a member of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society and hold a current annual lineside photography pass.
Lineside passes are valid for ONE year from the date of issue and cost £20. If you are not a member then it will be necessary to apply for membership in addition to the cost of your photographers permit.
New passes and renewal of existing passes are to be applied for a minimum of 4 weeks in advance.