Limited parking (fee)
Shop & Toilets
Connecting bus to Haworth Parsonage & Old Village (Summer Weekends and midweek when the Orange Timetable is in operation)
Haworth (pronounced How-arth) station is similar in style externally to other KWVR stations, however our commercial activities have meant the waiting room has been turned into a shop. The main locomotive workshops are based in the former goods yard just along the road from the station.
After 1956, Ingrow and Oxenhope stations became unstaffed and tickets were issued via a guard on board the two, three or four coach gang-wayed pull & push set that was introduced. Haworth remained staffed and became the station masters office for the entire branch. Outwardly the station is in original form.
When the railway was originally built, sufficient land was purchased for double track. Many of the bridges were also built wide enough to accommodate a second line at a later date; however, this was only completed between Keighley and the junction with the GN line north of Ingrow. The capacity of the line increased in 1900 when it was decided to divide the branch beyond GN Junction into three block sections, the other two being Oakworth to Haworth and Haworth to Oxenhope. This signalling was simplified again during the 1950’s when Oakworth and Haworth signal boxes closed and the loop was removed at Oakworth. The signal box that can now be seen midway along Haworth Loop is on the original site and was brought to the Railway from Esholt Junction; for a short time it was located at Keighley but not brought into use.
The platform at Haworth was lengthened about the turn of the century by a wooden extension. This is still evident today. At about the same time later the level crossing at the Oxenhope end of Haworth platform was removed, but foot access across the railway remained using the footbridge which links the station with the village. Today the loop at Haworth is used only for access to the yard – it was never used for passing trains, although it does have points at each end and appears to be such. In fact, it is a double ended siding and there never was a passing loop at Haworth. Haworth Main Street lies up the hill which is reached by the footbridge beyond the end of the platform.
For more information about Haworth and the local area visit the Discover Haworth and Bronte Country website.