‘Sir Berkeley’ was built by Manning Wardle & Co. Ltd., of Leeds and is an example of their typical ‘1’ class contractor’s locomotive designed in the latter half of the 1800’s. These were used the world over by contractors carrying out various engineering jobs. This engine was built in 1891 and supplied new to Logan & Hemmingway, numbered No. 30. It was used by them in the construction of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (MSL) Company’s extension to Derby and then on the Great Central Railway’s London extension (the Great Central being the successor to the MSL). The engine was subsequently sold to the Cranford lronstone Company, near Kettering and finally for use at Byfield Quarries near Banbury being withdrawn in 1963 and was purchased privately for preservation in February 1965.
‘Sir Berkeley’ arrived on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and subsequently performed light duties as well as appearing in a few filming assignments, including the BBC TV series version of ‘The Railway Children’ in the late 1960s.
When its boiler certificate expired it was bought by the Vintage Carriages Trust and in due course returned to working order. Withdrawn again in 2001 a new boiler was purchased and the engine returned to action in 2007 at the Middleton Railway, Leeds, where it is on loan and can be seen in regular action and returned in 2015 for the 50th Anniversary of VCT.