No.752 was originally built by Beyer Peacock in 1881 as an 0-6-0 tender engine of exactly the same class as Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Class 25 0-6-0 No. 957. By the time J. A. F. Aspinall was appointed as Chief Mechanical Engineer, however, the original design was becoming obsolete so he rebuilt all but 20 of the class as saddle tanks, with No. 752 being one of them.
At the grouping in 1923 No. 752 was re-numbered by the LMS as No. 11456 and was withdrawn by them in 1937, being sold on into industrial use at the Blainscough Colliery Co. of Coppull, Lancashire. ln 1947, it became the property of the North Western Division of the National Coal Board, re-allocated to the Parsonage Colliery at Leigh in Lancashire, where it was finally withdrawn and left lying in open storage for a period of 9 years before being made available for preservation in 1967.
The engine was acquired in run down condition by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Saddle Tanks Fund (now the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Trust) and arrived on the KWVR in November 1971. It was returned to steam in May 1977 and worked several specials and limited service trains. ln 1979/80 further work was carried out on the locomotive to allow the engine to participate at the 150th celebration of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway at Rainhill.
Although returned to steam, 752 was not the fittest of engines and was withdrawn once more until funding became available for the long list of work required to begin. Much of this work is in progress at the East Lancashire Railway in Bury, with reassembly and return to service, hopefully, in the not too distant future.
Featured image: Robin Lush