Built to the design of the Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London and North Western Railway, Francis William Webb, No. 1054 was manufactured at the LNWR’s Crewe works and entered service in 1888 as the 250th example of the class. It seems to have worked in the Birmingham area prior to the First World War and then, after the war, in both South and North Wales. At the grouping in 1923 the engine passed to the London Midland & Scottish Railway where it was renumbered 7799.
By 1950, this ‘Coal Tank’, now numbered 58926 after nationalisation, was to be found at Shrewsbury and by 1954 had moved to Abergavenny from where, after working the last train on the Abergavenny to Merthyr line with a Super D Class 0-8-0, it was withdrawn from traffic at Pontypool in 1958. The engine was then purchased privately from British Railways by the Shed Master at Bangor a Mr. J. M. Dunn. In 1964 it was donated to the National Trust who housed the engine at the Penryn Castle Museum.
However in 1973 the National Trust placed No. 1054 on long term loan to the Bahamas Locomotive Society at their Dinting Railway Museum and, when the centre closed, like No. 45596 “Bahamas”, it came to the KWVR in 1990.
The engine has recently undergone its third overhaul by Society volunteers at its Ingrow Loco workshop on the KWVR, financially assisted by the Heritage Lottery Fund. It made its first appearance in traffic at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway gala in February 2012, and during that year took on its former identities as British Railways No.58926 and LMS Railway No.7799. Having now regained its LNWR identity, 1054 can be seen working the line’s vintage train service and, very occasionally, three coach service trains.