Our Steam Gala is returning for 2020, Friday 6th March – Sunday 8th March. Despite variable weather at this time of year, our Spring Steam Gala have proved hugely popular and very successful as, in recent times, the Railway played host to a variety of locomotives including LNER B1 Class 4-6-0 61264, LMS ‘Crab’ 2-6-0 13065, ‘Britannia’ 7MT 4-6-2 70013 ‘Oliver Cromwell, SDJR 2-8-0 53808, ‘Black 5’ 4-6-0 44871 and in 2019, BR Class 2MT 46521 from the Great Central Railway.
We are delighted to announce, with thanks to the Didcot Railway Centre, Oxfordshire, that our guest locomotive at the Spring Steam Gala will be Swindon built ‘Prairie’ 2-6-2T no. 4144.
4144 was built at Swindon in September 1946 and, after almost 19 years service, was withdrawn in March 1965, being sent to Woodham Bros. of Barry for cutting up.
Like a number of our own locomotives, it survived being bought jointly by the Great Western Society and one of its members in 1974, 4 years after our own 43924. Its restoration was completed in 1997 and after withdrawal for overhaul in 2007, officially re-entered service on 2nd May 2015.
As well as a ‘visitor’, a selection from the home fleet will be in action
- BR Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T 41241
- BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 78022
- USATC S160 2-8-0 “Big Jim” No.5820
- LMS ‘Jubilee’ 4-6-0 45596 ‘Bahamas (Courtesy of Bahamas Loco Society)
- LMS ‘Black 5’ Class 5MT 4-6-0 45212
- Midland Railway 0-6-0 4F 43924
- Taff Vale Railway Class O2 0-6-2T no. 85
- Grafton Steam Crane will be in steam and operating in Oakworth Yard