During the 1950’s British Railways ordered 5 single car diesel railbuses were ordered from Waggon & Maschinenbau in Donauwörth, West Germany. They were numbered by British Railways E79960 – E79964 and amazingly, four out of the original five have entered preservation after the branches they were bought to serve closed.
Delivered new to the Cambridgeshire area, E79964 was transferred to Buxton in Derbyshire, for work on the branch to Millers Dale and was renumbered M79964, denoting that the railbus had been transferred to the Midland Region (M) of British Railways. When the Millers Dale branch closed, the railbus was sold and arrived on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in 1967.
Unlike E79962, M79964 was re-engined with an AEC 150 hp engine in BR ownership. This engine has subsequently been exchanged with an identical engine from a London Transport bus which has proved reliable in service and subsequently the vehicle has been in regularly use on our morning services. A popular feature with our early morning visitors is the increased forward visibility afforded by the railbuses and DMU’s, giving passengers a totally different perspective of the line.