This class of engine was developed under the BR modernisation plan of 1955. British Rail, the Type 2 evolving from one of the more successful prototypes and went into production. No. D5209 was built by BR at Derby in 1963 and went new to Toton Depot in Nottinghamshire. After 24 years service it was withdrawn from Crewe on 24the March 1987.
After being sold for scrap to a dealer in Leicestershire, a private group of individuals purchased the engine for use on the Worth Valley Railway. This group in turn donated the engine to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society and worked its first triail runs on the KWVR on 10th October 1987.
During its time in preservation the engine has carried both green and blue livery whilst in and has worked regular passenger services, works-trains, demonstration freight duties and at other special events. The engine currently carries the British Rail blue livery as 25 059.
25 059 has been missing for over a year being withdrawn for heavy body repairs but returned to service in 2016.