Although built in the workshops of the LMS to H. G. lvatt’s design, 41241 was constructed by British Railways, after the nationalisation of the railways in 1948 and went new to Bath (Green Park). The engine moved to different sheds before finally ending its days at Skipton.
The engine was purchased by two pioneering members of the KWVR directly from British Railways shortly before the closure of Skipton shed and arrived on the Worth Valley in March 1967, ownership passing to the Railway early in the 1970’s. No. 41241 possibly represents the most typical branch-line engine of all KWVR stock, making it ideal motive power for the Railway.
When the engine arrived on the Worth Valley it was painted maroon and, along with USA Tank No. 30072, double-headed the “Re-opening Special” in June 1968. It also represented the KWVR at the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway in Co. Durham in 1975. In due course 41241 was re-painted in authentic BR lined black, being the only livery the engine carried whilst in everyday service with British Railways.
The locomotive is currently stripped for overhaul and the subject of an appeal to have her fully restored by 2018, in time to haul a train in celebration of 50 years of preservation of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. For more details about the Appeal visit the 41241 – Ivatt Appeal.