The 3F tanks are a direct development by the LMS of former Midland Railway 0-6-0 designs built primarily for shunting duties. 422 of this class were built between 1924 and 1931. 47279 was produced by the Vulcan Foundry at their Newton-le-Willows site in Lancashire in 1924 and was originally numbered 7119. It spent its early years shunting the vast marshalling yards at Toton in Nottinghamshire before being transferred to Nottingham Depot in 1934 when it was renumbered 7279 by the LMS. By now carrying the BR number 47279, the ‘Jinty’ was withdrawn from Sutton Oak in 1967 and sold to the Woodham Bros. scrap-yard in South Wales.
After languishing in South Wales for 12 years, the engine was purchased by a private group for use on the KWVR, arriving on the Railway in August 1979, bereft, after so many years, of many parts.
The engine was painstakingly restored and on returning to traffic was used for a wide variety of Worth Valley duties from passenger workings to use on works trains for the Civil Maintenance Department. However its 10 year boiler certificate expired in 2011 and 47279 now rests in Oxenhope Exhibition shed awaiting its turn in the restoration queue.