The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway is delighted to announce the running of a commemorative railtour from Oxenhope to Carlisle behind LNER Pacific 60103 (4472) ‘Flying Scotsman’, in conjunction with Northern, Network Rail and Friends of the Settle & Carlisle. The train, which will be operated by West Coast Railways, will form part of the re-opening celebrations of the Settle & Carlisle line which is scheduled to re-open on this day.
The history of the Settle & Carlisle line is well documented and is, arguably the most scenic inland railway route in Britain. However in February 2016, after a 500,000 tonne landslip at Eden Brows, north of Armathwaite, the ground beneath the tracks slipped 5ft below its normal level and the railway was closed north of Appleby. Sitting over 240 feet above the River Eden, re-instatement of the subsided section was to be the subject of a £23 million engineering marathon involving the building an enormous concrete and steel structure that will sit beneath the railway and driving high-strength piles into the bedrock of the Eden Gorge.
This immense feat of modern railway engineering is due for completion by the end of March and the KWVR special from Oxenhope to Carlisle and return will be one of the first trains to traverse the closed section and will represent a fitting way to pay tribute to the work of our railway engineers and the re-opening of this special line.
- Tickets price: £220 per person.
- Tickets are now on sale via the website, book NOW on our on-line booking system or by phone, 01535 645214. The ticket office is open everyday 09.30 – 16.30.
- Pick up stations: Oxenhope, Haworth, Keighley or Skipton. Passengers wishing to join the train at Keighley or Skipton should book on the Haworth departure.
- Departure times: Approx. 08:30 from Oxenhope, exact times will be announced nearer the time.
- Tickets include: Complimentary offering of refreshments:
Outward journey a light lunch of sandwiches crisps and snacks will be served
Return journey a cream tea.
Complimentary red or white wine and soft juices will also be served throughout.
In addition to this complimentary service, a full bar service including real ale and hot drinks will be available on board.
- Real ale bar and hot drinks will be available to purchase on board.
- Approximately three hours in Carlisle.
- Return timings: To be confirmed nearer the time but will be early evening.
Tickets will sell fast, so don’t delay tickets are NOW on sale, book NOW on-line >>>