Unsuitable for road vehicles
Access by footpath
Damems (pronounced Dam-emms) station has a Ticket-cum-Station-Masters Office, Waiting Room, Lavatory, Signal Box and House still in KWVR ownership. The platform is only long enough for one coach, which makes this the smallest ‘full-size’ station in Britain.
Damems station was opened in 1868 with the purpose of serving a small mill close-by. The platform has only ever been one coach length but there used to be a siding on the site which is now occupied by the station house on the opposite side to the platform.
From 1928 Mrs Annie Feather, who lived in the station house, opened the level crossing, by hand. She operated the signals from a ground frame in the front garden. The station closed to passengers in 1949, but Annie continued until the line closed and even then would occasionally work the gates and signals for some of the first trains operated by the putative KWVR.
In 1971 the frame that had been used in Annie Feather’s garden was taken out of use and replaced by one in a signal box which was transferred from Earby on the Skipton to Colne line, which was about to close. There it was called ‘Earby Gates’ and was the next station towards Skipton from Foulridge, which station was moved to Ingrow.
The current booking office and waiting room is a completely new structure which replaced the former Keighley (MR) goods yard ticket checkers cabin which succumbed to rot in 1993. The new structure is based on the original Damems station building built by the Midland Railway.
The station has been featured in the BBC TV production Born and Bred.