41241 in BR Service

Members of this class of locomotives saw service on the Worth valley branch right up until steam gave way to diesel multiple units in the 1960s. No. 41241 possibly represents the most typical branch-line engine of all KWVR stock, making it ideal motive power for the Railway.

41241 8th October 1950

Data File:

Built: 1949 Crewe
Boiler Pressure: 200 psi
Tractive Effort: 17,410 lbf
Weight: 65.2 tons
Valve Gear: Walschaerts
Cylinders: 16″ x 24″ lnside
Numbers carried during working career: BR 41241

History

This class of locomotive was designed by H.G. lvatt in 1946 for the London Midland & Scottish Railway. lvatt had been very impressed with American locomotive designs that had been used in this country during the Second World War and especially with labour saving devices such as grease lubrication of the engine’s motion and a rocking grate in the firebox. This latter feature, for example, meant the crews did not have to use a long handled shovel to “paddle out” the fire. He also designed the engines with repair and maintenance in mind, making most of the motion and pipe work easily accessible to both crew and fitters.

No.41241 was built soon after the nationalisation of the railways in Britain (1948) and went new to Bath (Green Park), where it spent several years working the famous Somerset and Dorset Railway line. The engine was destined to be well travelled being subsequently allocated to Bristol (Barrow Road), back to Bath (Green Park), Wellington (Salop), Leamington, Bangor, Croes Newydd (Wrexham) and Llandudno Junction. Its final move was to Skipton from where the engine was purchased by two pioneering members of the KWVR and moved direct from British Railways shortly before the closure of that shed, arriving at Keighley under its own steam in March 1967.

To view further images of 41241 in BR service, visit the Ivatt Appeal album on our Flickr feed ⇒